Founded in 1989, CanWel is headquartered in Vancouver, British Columbia and trades on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbol CWX, and is Canada’s only fully integrated national distributor in the building materials and related products sector.
CanWel operates multiple treating plants and planing facilities in Canada and the United States, and operates distribution centres coast to coast in all major cities and strategic locations across Canada, and near San Francisco and Los Angeles, California. CanWel distributes a wide range of building materials, lumber, and renovation products. In addition, through its CanWel Fibre division, CanWel operates a vertically-integrated forest products company based in Western Canada, operating from British Columbia to Saskatchewan, also servicing the US Pacific Northwest. CanWel Fibre has private timberlands; strategic Crown licenses and tenures; timber harvesting and trucking operations; several post and pole peeling facilities; and two pressure-treated specialty wood production plants.
Learn more about CanWel at www.canwel.com.
Reporting to the CFO, the CanWel Fibre Division Controller is responsible for the division’s financial reporting, ensures adherence with financial and budgetary controls, policies and procedures and coordinates year-end audits, annual budgeting and corporate tax compliance.
The Division Controller has a unique opportunity to revamp the accounting processes for a newly acquired division of CanWel.
- Assess current divisional accounting practices in the operations (BC and Saskatchewan), and implement best practices from previous experiences in the forestry industry.
- Influence and educate operational management in the field on the application of accounting processes.
- Lead transition from paper-based accounting to utilization of an existing ERP system (JDE).
- Take a leadership role in month-end closing processes under tight reporting deadlines
- Review in detail and approve monthly, quarterly and annual divisional financial statements prior to submission to the division’s President
- Report monthly, quarterly and annual financial results in accordance with IFRS to corporate head office for consolidation
- Provide regular updates to the division’s President and the corporate head office with respect to financial results and year-over-year variances
- Work with external accountants to ensure compliance with corporate taxes
- Liaise with external auditors regarding annual audit requests
- Coordinate the division’s annual budgeting process
- Participate in evaluating and improving accounting and internal controls within the division
- Responsible for division’s daily cash management
Manages the divisional finance team, which is comprised of an assistant controller, two senior corporate accountants and a corporate accountant.
- Champions best practices, creative thinking, effective planning and timely decision-making
- Creates and maintains a positive, productive, and transparent work environment and team atmosphere
- Establish priorities and allocate work to ensure that the accounting staff are organized and the department operates at maximum efficiency
- Manages day-to-day activities of direct reports to ensure adherence to established deadlines while maintaining quality of work efforts
- Addresses employee issues in a fair and consistent manner
- Conducts performance assessments on a regular basis
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Minimum 5 years controller experience Minimum 3 years of public accounting/auditing experience
- Forestry / Woodlands experience essential
- Corporate and sales tax experience preferred
- Experience working with ERP systems
- Strong analytical, financial, and accounting skills
- Ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively with all levels of employees, management, and external agencies
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Business
- CPA designation
Competitive base salary; annual incentive plan; group pension; health benefits
Interested candidates should apply online via button below or for further information, contact Ron Hogg at (604) 669-5635.